A Picture of the Work of Evangelism
Ezekiel 37: 1-10 The hand of the Lord was upon me, and he brought me out in the Spirit of the Lord and set me down in the middle of the valley; it was full of bones. 2 And he led me around among them, and behold, there were very many on the surface of the valley, and behold, they were very dry. 3 And he said to me, “Son of man, can these bones live?” And I answered, “O Lord God, you know.” 4 Then he said to me, “Prophesy over these bones, and say to them, O dry bones, hear the word of the Lord. 5 Thus says the Lord God to these bones: Behold, I will cause breath to enter you, and you shall live. 6 And I will lay sinews upon you, and will cause flesh to come upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and you shall live, and you shall know that I am the Lord.”
7 So I prophesied as I was commanded. And as I prophesied, there was a sound, and behold, a rattling, and the bones came together, bone to its bone. 8 And I looked, and behold, there were sinews on them, and flesh had come upon them, and skin had covered them. But there was no breath in them. 9 Then he said to me, “Prophesy to the breath; prophesy, son of man, and say to the breath, Thus says the Lord God: Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe on these slain, that they may live.” 10 So I prophesied as he commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they lived and stood on their feet, an exceedingly great army.
What is Evangelism?
Let’s begin by defining what evangelism is not.
Evangelism is not…
- having a non-christian friend.
- Should you have non-christian friends? Absolutely! But just the fact that you have these friends does not mean that you are doing the work of evangelism. These relationships can be an important starting point for sharing the Gospel, but we must actually share the Gospel to evangelize.
- sharing your personal testimony.
- Should you share your personal faith story? By all means! But your personal testimony is just that a personal testimony. Your personal testimony speaks to the effect of the Gospel in your life, but is not the Gospel itself. The Gospel is the power. Your personal testimony is the result. While presenting your personal testimony is a good way to show people the power of the Gospel, only the Gospel itself can unleash that power in their lives.
- acts of charity.
- Should you be charitable? No doubt! We should serve people like Jesus serves people. We should be known for our extravagant generosity. Generosity and charity, though, are not the same as the Gospel. Generosity is the result of a Gospel transformed life. It is a fruit and the Gospel of God is the root. Give them the root so that they can fully understand the fruit that they see in your life.
Evangelism is the clear presentation of the Gospel in a way that can be understood by the hearer.
Evangelism is a supernatural work. (Ephesians 2:1-9 & John 6:44)
Evangelism is an essential responsibility. (Romans 10:14-16)
- We must Pray.
- We must Send.
- We must Go.
Evangelism is an extreme privilege. (Philippians 1:18-26)
How do we evangelize?
- Be Prepared!
- Be Real!
- It’s not about presenting a compelling sales pitch. In evangelism, you are seeking to communicate the solution of the deepest need of humanity. It is a weighty subject with much in the balance. When you share the Gospel be real and be yourself. Anything else will seem forced and insincere.
- Be Courageous!
- God has sent His Son Jesus to live, suffer, die and resurrect on our behalf. He gave us the Spirit and left us with a command to go and make disciples. This is difficult work and requires great courage.